Digitally Exploring The Colour Around us

Connecting student to the beauty of nature has never been easier with the devices that can take a snapshot instantly. Designing a lesson where students use their phone cameras and online software to learn about photography and colour theory through the natural world showed me how technology can enhance students' experience with the outdoors.
The lesson is designed for a grade 5 class integrating Technology, Art and English. Having students explore how meaning and tone can be expressed through colour design. The natural world is filled with numerous colour combinations that can evoke responses from observers and explorers. Students will use Colour Adobe to investigate their nature photography, design and analyze colour palettes with colour concepts. I anticipate using the framework of this lesson in my future teaching practice as students get to deepen their appreciation of nature by exploring the details through using different photography techniques, getting up close and personal through close-up shots and different photo perspectives. Having them use online software that can help them pick out the depths and ranges of colours will help take their exploration deeper. Technology has the power to help students to create connections and meaning between nature and themselves.  

Comments

  1. I love your idea! This is so cool and I'm going to keep it in mind for my own future teachings. It's nice that you have some being done prior to class which will save work time. This lessons encourages students to analyze a scene and break it down into what they actually see instead the colours they'd expect. Something I'd suggest to add would be exactly how you are assessing them, (rubric, checklist), how are you recording the assessment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool idea! I definitely see myself using this kind of lesson in my own classroom. Great integrated connections between subject areas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment